Almost nine in 10 e-cigarette shops in the UK are selling vaping products to non-smokers against the industry's code of conduct, an investigation reveals.
The Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) said 87% of shops were knowingly or unwittingly prepared to sell e-cigarettes to people who have never smoked or vaped.
Experts warn that non-smokers could become addicted if they start vaping. The RSPH is now urging shops to keep to the voluntary code.
The organisation investigated 100 of the 1,700 specialist vape shops in England, Scotland and Wales. Just under half of the stores did not check whether the customers had smoked before, and three-quarters of those that did still encouraged non-smokers to start vaping, the RSPH claimed.
Excerpt from BBC News, read the full article here
Many people who quit smoking are surprised by how good they feel!
Many smokers want to quit but aren’t sure about the best way to go about it. There’s lots of free support on offer and by using the support that’s right for you, you’ll be boosting your chance of quitting.
Smoking support through your GP
Many people don’t realise that their GP can help them quit smoking. But your doctor can do a lot, such as enrolling you in a ‘stop smoking’ clinic and prescribing nicotine replacement therapy such as patches and gum, or stop smoking medication such as Champix.
Support from the NHS Stop Smoking Helpline – 0800 022 4332 – Ireland call the HSE Quit team 1800 201 203.
They provide excellent information and advice on the best way to quit. By discussing all the options available face-to-face you can be sure you’re giving yourself an improved chance of succeeding. So arrange to see your healthcare professional or local NHS Stop Smoking Service. It could set the wheels in motion for quitting smoking.
What you may want to consider:
Remind yourself of all the gains you make after stopping smoking:
- What are all of the treatments/options available to me?
- What withdrawal symptoms may I experience?
- What should I do if I slip up and have a cigarette?
- After 2 days, nicotine is totally eliminated from the body. Your senses of taste and smell improve.
- After 3 days, your breathing becomes easier as the airways begin to relax.
- After 2 – 4 weeks, your circulation improves and you can walk and run more easily
- After 3 – 9 months, your lung function improves by up to 10 %, thereby reducing coughs and breathing problems
- After 1 – 3 years, your risk of having a heart attack is halved